Friday, September 11, 2015

Week 1 Done!

As I write this, the class is out for their second nutrition break, but I told them I would share a video we watched in class, so I thought I would fire off a few words to reflect on the week that was.
Just based on how much louder they are today during break time, with Tuesday, I would say that everyone is settling in and feeling more comfortable in the class.  We went from awkwardly sitting in the circle on Tuesday, to today's brown bag presentation where everyone was engaged, asking questions, and chomping at the bit to have a chance to show their items.
Another sign that they are feeling more comfortable was a dance break we took today (ask your child why "bird" is the word?) where every single student was up and engaged, and frantically dancing to the beat.  It looks like this is shaping up to be a really strong and involved group.
We have run through some basic math fact diagnostics, and language based assessments, and are moving on to get our hands dirty next week with some exploration in math, language, and science.  With the election a month away, we will also be looking at aspects of government in grade 5, and Canada's links to the world in grade 6.
The video below was the introduction we used as we started our own "letters to my future self" today in our communication period.  They found it entertaining, and inspiring.  This week has been all about inspiration.  So far they have supplied me with a lot of inspiration looking forward.
Here is to a great start.  Happy first weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment